Sunday, March 10, 2024
Week 9: Traditional Practices
Apologies for the format - I can't figure out Blogger this week. My input screen looks like html code for some reaason and I'm not a coder lol. Videos: I must say the videos this week were personally inspiring. I had day-dreams of leaving my job and becoming a rope maker or something of the like. From age 12 to 25 my job was a farmer. From 25 to now, 38 I’ve been a teacher. I have a friend who has become a part time blacksmith, which arose from a hobby. He has his own forge and classes come to take part and learn.
Dancing braids is definitely something I’d like to do someday with students. Personally, I’d like to investigate the math a bit deeper.
Watching the Vest-ed Interest video about sheep wool and making clothing seemed like a nice way to address the environmental impacts of the modern clothing industry. That being one of the math for social justice issues in our previous course.
I find it relates to traditional kamik and mitt making in the NWT. From experience handmade mitts are much warmer and flexible than their industry made counterparts. I remember a simple pair of rabbit fur mittens being the most comfortable way to keep my hands warm walking around town in temps that went to the negative forties. So from my experience I tend to use handmade items for winter as practicality and as an added benefit it has less environmental impacts.
Activity: I must say, I learned a lot just ripping strips from old fabrics. I figured I’d need to use scissors to get nice straight even widths but I only needed my hands.
I found the braiding process quite soothing. It would be something I could do to let my mind unwind. The act of ripping the strips from the fabric was also a bit of a stress reliever.
I thought about how there could be so many science experiments that could come from rope making and braiding.
For instance, how does the strength of one fabric strip compare to three strips braided together? Is the relation linear or something else?
Other investigable question could be:
How does friction between strands contribute to the overall strength of a braided rope?
What is the relationship between the diameter of a rope and its load-bearing capacity?
What mathematical models can describe the braiding patterns and their impact on rope strength?
Article: This week I read the APTN article ‘The spirit of the medicine will lead us back’: How Avis O’Brien is guiding Elders to weave their first cedar hats By Anna McKenzie.
It describes Avis ‘Nalaga’ O’Brien’s journey to and experience with teaching We Wai Kai and We Wai Kum elders how to weave their first cedar hats.
Twelve years prior Avis was feeling disconnected from her culture but started learning how to weave from her sister.
At the start of her weaving journey she still wanted nothing to do with it or her culture. However, the healing power of the cedar began to make her interested in her culture. Today she describes, “It’s like we’re giving back these Elders something that was taken to them, taken from them through our history,” she says. “It’s pretty magical.”
One elder, Wasden, “says she believes cedar is “who we are and where we come from. It’s entwined in everything we do — from birth on a cedar mat, to death in a cedar box. It’s used for potlatches, for skirts, wreaths, head pieces. It was used for storage, cooking, blankets, mats, and even personal hygiene.”
My question this week is: What science questions do you see coming from exploring these traditional practices like weaving?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Draft Project Link
Slides for final project
-
Activity: Words per line Fib poems about golfing. Autumn: Red Orange Leaves fall Crisp air aroma Hunt for balls amongst leaves Early morni...
-
Part Two Introduction, Video, and Activity My wonderings from the introduction focused on, can technology be a great equalizer between ...
-
Eve, T. (2019). Bridges Stockholm 2018 and this week’s Introduction Eve Torrence is a mathematics professor at Randolph-Macon Colle...

I think this week's readings and viewings have made us all a little introspective! I was quite impacted by Karen Barnaby talking about how rope making gave her a feeling of connection with all those before her who have done the same.
ReplyDeleteIn answer to your question, I think that rope making could provide many opportunities for scientific and mathematical learning. Students could try using different materials of different lengths and determine what impact it has on how strong the rope is by hanging weights on it. I had a student last year who was working to make rope from pop bottles that were cut into lot narrow strips cut circularly from the bottle. He had done it at a scout camp, he was not incredibly successful but did manage to learn a few things while he tried.
I guess from both your post and Axel's I'm left thinking about how learning these skills that use natural materials connects you with the land and that is the best way to instill a desire to protect it. These are some of the ideas we discussed in the Outdoor Education course with Dr. Kwesi Yaro.