Week Three Post 1 - Activity (article and video post coming on Saturday)
I am currently in Paulatuk NT and as you can see I’m not going to be sitting or standing outside for long. Also, in terms of living things (plants and animals) right now there are only a few ravens, dogs, bushes, and humans. So this week, I am taking some liberty and drawing lettuce chunks from a salad, a banana, and an apple. The outdoor human made structures are being drawn from the comfort of looking out my window.
In living things there were no right angles whereas human made structures were riddled with them. Living things had curved or arched lines whereas human made structures had straight lines. Human made structures are probably this way for both simplicity's sake and structural strength. I found it interesting that the banana formed a pair and a set of approximately equal angles. Then I Googled banana blossoms to see if I could determine a relationship between lines and the blossom/flower. However, the image of a banana blossom only confused me further!!!!!
****EDIT banana angles 60/60/80/80/80
I think that close observation and drawing would strengthen the understanding of angles and lines as it combines two senses for the same concept. The student would be highly attentive to sight and feel. This would be especially the case if, as this week’s introduction states, “we work to create a balanced program of mathematics” that is both outdoor and indoor (nature and sensory balanced with traditional methods).
No comments:
Post a Comment